The biggest food awareness day of the year, National Fish and Chip Day, is back for its 7th year!
On Friday 27th May 2022, a week before the nation prepares for a special four-day Bank Holiday to mark the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, the country will come together to celebrate fish and chips!
As well as being one of the most popular awareness days of the year, we want National Fish and Chip Day this year to be even more special as we say a very big thank you to this amazing industry who are at the centre of every community, and who are facing enormous challenges with price rises and supply chain issues but are still going all out to feed their communities this iconic family favourite.
So, let’s make National Fish and Chip Day 2022 the best yet as we bring together everyone involved in creating this favourite British dish; from Fish & Chip shops, pub chains, restaurants, retailers, to the fishermen and farmers who provide the sustainable and natural ingredients needed to create this family favourite.
Last year, National Fish and Chip Day was a day like no other, with everyone talking about the nation’s favourite dish from first thing in the morning until late at night! People across the country came together to celebrate their love of fish and chips. Some shops were reporting their highest footfall of the year…even higher than Good Friday in many cases.
Friday 27th May 2022 looks set to be a fantastic celebration and we would love to help you generate some engaging, fun and exciting content. Please do get in touch and we can help with stats, fun facts, celebrity recipes and competition ideas.
This event is championed by trade organisation, The National Edible Oil Distributors Association (NEODA). NEODA represents all the major refiners, key packers and distributors of edible oils as well as suppliers of non-oil products (such as batter mix, sausages, range manufacturers and potato preservatives) in the UK.
NEODA President, Gary Lewis, said, “National Fish & Chip Day has become more popular each year and in 2022, as a warm up to the Queen’s Jubilee, we want it to be even bigger! It’s a celebration of the stars who work hard to bring Brits their favourite traditional takeaway. We want to bring the whole industry together to celebrate and showcase the great British institution that is Fish and Chips.”
This year’s National Fish and Chip Day also has the backing of two additional sponsors, Seafood from Norway from The Norwegian Seafood Council, which works with the Norwegian fisheries and aquaculture industries to develop markets for Norwegian seafood and Blakemans, a leading manufacturer of sausage and meat products.
Hans Frode Kielland Asmyhr, UK Director of Norwegian Seafood Council, adds: “We are delighted to sponsor National Fish and Chip Day this year. We have worked closely with the fish and chip industry in the UK for many years supplying sustainable quality fish, and this is a great opportunity to celebrate our relationship.”
Phil Blakeman, MD at Blakemans said “We have a lot to thank the lovely people of the fish and chip and fast food industries for, especially over the last few years so it is only fitting that we have this annual celebration and we are honoured to be able to play a small part in this fitting tribute.”
Spicy Cajun Fish Finger Brioche Roll, Ranch Dressing
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 10 minutes
2 tbsp plain flour
1 1⁄2 tsp Cajun seasoning
salt & pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
50g Panko breadcrumbs
2 x 130g Norwegian cod fillets, skin off, cut into strips 3 tbsp sunflower oil
2 brioche buns, to serve
salad leaves, to serve
For the Ranch dressing:
1 tbsp gherkins, finely chopped 3 tbsp light mayonnaise
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 shallot, very finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp chopped dill
1 tbsp chopped chives
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the flour, Cajun seasoning and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour the beaten egg into a shallow dish and put the bread crumbs into another shallow dish.
- Gently toss the strips of fish in the seasoned flour until evenly coated, then dip into the beaten egg and finally toss in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated. Put the prepared fish strips onto a large plate and leave to one side.
- To make the Ranch dressing, simply combine all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and season with a little salt and leave to one side.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan, add the fish fingers and fry for 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp on all sides (you may need to do this in small batches).
- Remove the fish fingers from the frying pan and allow to drain on a piece of kitchen paper.
- Slice the brioche buns in half, lay some salad leaves on one half, followed by a couple of fish fingers, top with a little Ranch dressing and the other brioche half and serve immediately.