By Helen Venables, MD of House of Colour
In the winter we are greeted by mother nature with ice-grey skies and frosty mornings, which means snuggling up in cosy knitwear is a must, so here are our ten top style tips for this season’s knitwear.
- Look out for strong, distinctive colours in your seasonal palette and be colour confident. Jumpers and cardigans are a great way to give your look a colour boost and if you get it right, because the colours are close to your face, they will give you a radiant complexion and brightness to your eyes. Choose colours that don’t suit you and you will look drained. Make sure you know if you suit rich, earthy colours; warm, clear hues; cool bright colours; or cool, subtle tones.
- Mélange knitwear is in all the shops, many with a twist of two or more colours. Look out for knitwear in one of your favourite wow colours with neutral harmonising colours, great for Autumns and summers or a bold contrasting colour from your colour palette, fantastic for Springs and Winters to really stand out. Alternatively let a scarf in your colours lift your knitwear look.
- Know what style suits you from the length to the neckline to belted or not, from cosy shearing to wool capes to tailored belted coatigans, we have never had more choice. Check which length and style suit your body shape. Consider changing buttons as this kind of detail can make all the difference in showing our style and character.
- Explore the huge variety of textures and materials to choose from this season from features to faux fur to cashmere and velvet.
- Retro Fair Isle and Argyle patterns are in and look cosy and chic paired with a sleek skirt and boots or perfectly proportioned trousers if they suit your style personality.
- Exaggerated sleeves are, excuse the pun, huge this season. Curved and billowy, feathered and textured, or chunky knit; they make a big statement, but are best for those with Natural or Dramatic in their style. Have fun standing out.
- Jumper or cardigan – which suits you best? Belted cardigans are flattering for hourglass figures because they show off the small waist. Pear-shapes suit shorter jumpers, rather than longer ones finishing across the hips.
- A coatigan is lovely for those milder, in-between days or to pop on in the office if you feel chilly. Snug yet stylish coatigans on the right body architecture are extremely flattering. They can be worn oversized for the tall and pulled in at the waist to flatter an hourglass figure.
- 9) Invest in sumptuous cashmere because it is now the modern autumn and winter must-haves; sustainable, wearable and durable, and an excellent investment with longevity in mind. Cashmere is around eight times warmer than sheep’s wool. Cashmere comes in a much wider choice of styles, sizes, patterns and beautiful colour selections than ever before. Look out for cashmere blends for smaller budgets.
- Buy a blanket scarf or wrap to update your winter wardrobe – Update a classic or neutral jumper with a chunky wrap with a fur collar or soft blanket scarf in a striking wow colour. There is something for everyone from tiger orange, sleek pistachio green to burgundy or vibrant pinks. Capes are a big style trend this seasonfor a bourgeois French look. Perfect, if you are tall, with a rectangle frame, plus capes are so comfortable.